Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddio!

It's dad's birthday today and he would've been 58. In jest, I would've told him how old he is getting, but now that he's gone, 58 just doesn't seem very old, does it?

(A typical summer day after dialysis for my dad)
There's things now in existence that didn't used to have as much meaning as they do now, and this past week, several of those little 'things' surfaced for me. I sat in my mom's room the other day on the floor in front of her nightstand and just cried by just holding one of these 'things'. That thing being my dad's wallet. Okay, so the wallet might have meant something when I was a teenager hoping to get some cash out of that 'thing', but now it holds a different meaning. It means my dad. That thing was, literally, closer to my dad then anything else in his life by just being in his pocket. It still held his drivers license, the note he wrote himself just hours before his passing of his Doctor's appointment that same day, and even the $12, of which I'm sure would've been gone by the end of the day to support McDonalds. It's just a wallet, I know, but it was my dad's, and I'll cherish each and every thing that was his just as I do now with that wallet.

1 comments:

Dennison Family said...

How sweet, Hil! I love the picture of your dad in the pool! Especially the farmers tan! Love it!!