Saturday, February 23, 2008

What I Found Interesting...

Last night me, Aaron, the kiddos, and my mom went to 'The Vida' (as we like to put it) for some yummy dinner! Just as we were about to finish, three guys and a girl came right to our table, point to my mom and their faces light up with glee. Immediately, I knew that these four people were former students of my mom's and just couldn't help themselves by saying Hi. (*Side Note: Having both parents as teachers has made 'run-ins' with students a constant in our lives. I can remember as far back as being a kid being stopped in grocery stores, restuarants, the mall...you name it, former students are EVERYWHERE!*) Getting back to my story...one of the guys eventually asked how my dad was doing and if he was still teaching, etc. Of which my mom just briefly said, 'He passed away 15 months ago.' Simple, to the point. The guy had her repeat how long he had passed and then I quote, "Oh wow, well that's why we're here. My grandfather just passed and we got together as a family..." Hmmmmm???? What I found interesting was that the subject of my father passing, was brushed off as a non-point. A side thought, if you will. My mom, nor would my dad actually, would've cared to go into any more detail and actually we don't need a spotlight on the matter, but I just found it interesting that such a poignant moment in someone else's life can make another person either uncomfortable or dumbfounded. Here's my suggestion to anyone that runs into this situation: Express your condolences - simply and to the point. Don't just dismiss it due to it's subject matter. Realize that if the issue makes you uncomfortable, most likely it too is uncomfortable for the other person. Sheesh! Okay, thanks for stopping by my soap box - I'm getting down now.

***In other news -- MY NIECE HAS ARRIVED!!!! Yeah for Makenzie Leigh! -- Oh and Liz...it's your turn again! =) ***

1 comments:

Dennison Family said...

Wow, I can't believe they didn't even say anything, especially with them being there to remember someone else who passed! That is pretty wierd. Sorry that you had such a bad experience, but I completely agree with your advice!